Thursday, September 08, 2005

Creepy

Things are starting to get creepy. I wrote earlier today about the impending media blackout. Now I read this ABC News story. A group of good Samaritans (KAMP) put together a project to broadcast a radio station at the Astrodome. Sony was set to kick in 10,000 radios so that the IDPs there could get information on their situation, and get information on relatives. They went through all the correct channels and obtained all the licences needed to be able to broadcast.

The Joint Operation Center at the Astrodome, which has to be run by FEMA, told the group that they could not broadcast. At first, FEMA told KAMP that they could not provide them with electricity. KAMP said they would run on battery power. Nope. Request denied. No reason given the second time. The Joint Operation Center refused multiple requests for comment on the story.

I'm not normally taken in by the tin hat crew, but what the fuck is going on here. This is surely what Moscow felt like in the early days of Stalin. I hope they give me a heads up before interning me at a camp.

No comments: