Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Not From The Onion

Oh, what is it with Christian conservatives and their mythical little buddies? From the Gainesville Sun:

After more than an hour of solemn ceremony naming Rep. Marco Rubio, R-West Miami, as the 2007-08 House speaker, Gov. Jeb Bush stepped to the podium in the House chamber last week and told a short story about "unleashing Chang," his "mystical warrior" friend.

Here are Bush's words, spoken before hundreds of lawmakers and politicians: ''Chang is a mystical warrior. Chang is somebody who believes in conservative principles, believes in entrepreneurial capitalism, believes in moral values that underpin a free society."

''I rely on Chang with great regularity in my public life. He has been by my side and sometimes I let him down. But Chang, this mystical warrior, has never let me down.''

Bush then unsheathed a golden sword and gave it to Rubio as a gift.

''I'm going to bestow to you the sword of a great conservative warrior,'' he said, as the crowd roared.

Okay, first things first. Any ceremony to swear in any speaker of any house by any party that lasts longer than an hour is simply a self fellating circle jerk put on by overly pompous egotistical idiots.

Now, on to Chang. This is some crap he gets from his father George H.W. Bush. It's silly and stupid and I couldn't care less about it. It is pretty funny though, a Christian conservative calling on some form of Eastern Mysticism for strength.

Oh, and I was unaware that the ancient monarchies of China were free societies that were chalk full of entrepreneurial capitalist goodness.

There is a question I would like answered. Who paid for the sword? Tax payers? Lobbyists? Jeb doesn't seem like a dip into my own pocket kinda guy. You might remember how proudly he announced at the Florida State - Miami game that he had dropped twenty whole US dollars into a collection taken at the game.

No comments: