Saturday, September 24, 2005

Reality

OK, let me be the first to point out the fact that I was wrong. In my last post I said that I would point out how you could evacuate people from a large city. It's hard, it's really, really hard. I won't bore you with all of the background I used but I will give you some of the generals and these are the facts. This is based on a generic city of one million people with no damage to infrastructure. This is based on a surprise disaster, such as a terrorist attack.

Best case scenario: People evacuating themselves: 120,000 the first day, half that every subsequent day after the second day. Government sponsored air lift /train lift /boat lift: 150,000 the first day with serious degradation every day afterward, but this probably wouldn't start until the third day. Getting people to the lift is a bitch.

So, by my calculations, a city with one million people would take a week to nine days to empty a city, not including people that simply wouldn't leave who are included in the 1 million figure, roughly 5%.

I'll try to come up with solutions to speed this up.

No comments: