Thursday, August 25, 2005

Last Pat Robertson Post, I Promise

Mathew Yglesias has an interesting take on Pat Robertson's fatwa against Hugo Chavez. Yglesias see the following paragraph as a "subtle dig" at the Bush administration's Iraq policy.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

I don't see it that way. Nuanced isn't a word I would use to describe Robertson. I think it could be more of a cash flow thing. Chavez has oil, and the cost of gas is taking a toll on the little old ladies he fleeces. Robertson can't sell them a ticket to ride on his magic carpet ride to heaven if the gas man gets his hand in their wallet first.

No comments: