Monday, August 29, 2005

Gulfport

Commenter jk is right. I was thinking about this on my drive home. Gulfport is pretty much gone. Now, when I wrote the post about New Orleans, it was 4:30 in the morning and Katrina had just begun to turn east. It still looked like New Orleans was going to take the brunt of the storm. Didn't happen. The storm banked east and pretty much destroyed Gulfport, also doing a lot of damage to Mobile. A breakaway oil rig has damaged the Mobil River Bridge.

I just saw initial video of Gulfport and it looks bad. If they did board up, the boarding is gone. The city is in ruin. I haven't really seen a lot of coverage on Mississippi. I think what happened here is that the storm turned after the news channels set up and they were stuck. They haven't been able to get into southern Mississippi yet. When they do, it's gonna be much worse than New Orleans.

No comments: