Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Time May Out Plame Leaker

It looks like Time magazine will probably turn over documents naming the Valerie Plame leaker tommorrow if the judge reaffirms the contempt of court order issued against Time, Matthew Cooper, and Judith Miller. Time was ordered to pay $1,000 a day under the previous contempt order.

While I'm happy the leaker will be outed, I am totally against the jailing of journalists as if we lived in some tin-pot dictatorship.

I'm unclear what will happen to Cooper and Miller if Time does this. I presume Cooper will be spared jail time, but I think Miller still goes to jail. Of course, if Time tears down the wall, I don't really see a reason not to testify. After all, the journalistic integrity will have already been destroyed in this case.

Found via Kos diarist mr curmudgeon

No comments: