Thursday, April 28, 2005

Why I Listen To NPR

In the last two days I have heard two very interesting stories on NPR. A lot of people bash NPR for being too liberal, but I don't listen to NPR for politics. Every network has political hacks that half of their listeners are going to believe to be out of the mainstream. No, I listen to NPR because they have deeper interviews and stories. They don't do the MTV type fast cut news that prevails on today's cable news networks.

Yesterday, on Fresh Air, I heard Terry Gross interview Dr. Chester Buckenmaier. Buckenmaier is chief of the Regional Anesthesia and Pain Management Initiative at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Wow, what a title. This guy doesn't go many places where he isn't the smartest guy in the room, but he laid out the work he's been doing on injured soldiers in lay-mans term that I could understand. Go listen to this interview here.

The second story I heard was on this morning's Morning Edition. It was an in depth interview with the wildlife scientists that have proven the existence of the long thought extinct Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. Go listen to this here.

No comments: