Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Death Of The Pope

I don’t have much to say about Pope John Paul II as I’m not Catholic. I do find it amusing that the same right wing commentators that bashed him in the run up to the Iraq war are now wrapping themselves in his burial shroud. What I do find intriguing is the pomp and circumstance involved in the selection of the next Pope. I don’t have a horse in the race so I really don’t care who they chose. But the ritual of it is fascinating. I’m not going into details, if you haven’t heard them yet, you don’t care. This will be the third Pope chosen in my lifetime with the last two in 1978. Back then every network covered the election wall to wall. It was the same as with this Pope’s death. Will this election get the same type coverage? I’m not sure. They can last a long time. BTW, as a side note, if you ever get a chance to go to Rome, by all means go. It is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve been to and the Vatican is pretty cool even if you’re not Catholic.

No comments: