Thursday, February 22, 2007

Writer's Block

Lately, I have had a nasty case of writer's block. I'm not sure what causes this but most of the stories I read either cause me to say blah, or if it does interest me, I don't feel like writing about it. It usually takes something infuriating to snap me out of it, and then the words flow.

I did see the Ohio State basketball game last night in which the number one Buckeyes managed to get by also-ran Penn St. After the game, Thad Matta got a little testy with reporters asking for the reason Greg Oden didn't get more touches. From the Dispatch:

"It’s a pretty good issue," Matta said. "We’re 25-3. We’re doing a couple of things well here. I’d like to get it to him every time. We’re 13-1 in the Big Ten and have 25 wins, and I’m sitting up here like I don’t know what I’m doing here."

Yea, that's true. But I still have to question some of the moves Matta made last night as well. While it is true that Penn St was packing in a zone defense last night begged to be shot over, OSU wasn't hitting from the outside and Oden was effective when he got the ball.

To make matters worse, with roughly ten minutes left in the game Oden drew two straight fouls leaving two of Penn State's interior players with four fouls and one with three. Oden's touches following that exchange were still insufficient, and we still continued to play with four guards. Neither Othello Hunter nor Ivan Harris saw the floor again last night. In fact, other than Oden, Ohio State's big men tallied only twenty-eight minutes combined.

If one of those two would have been inserted to play alongside Oden, I'm fairly confident Ohio State could have blown the game open at that point as they simply couldn't have stopped them without fouling out.

Eh, what do I know.

No comments: