Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Blogofascism At Its Finest

Finally, we get to see some of that good old fashioned blogofascism the right wing always likes to bitch about, and of course, it is perpetrated by the right wing itself.

Amanda Marcotte has resigned from the John Edwards campaign after repeated attacks by such luminaries as Bill Donohue and various other right-wing hacks. From the Washington Post:

Amanda Marcotte, whose writings were assailed as anti-Catholic, wrote yesterday on her blog that the Edwards camp had accepted her resignation. She blamed her most vocal critic, Bill Donohoe, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, writing that he "and his cavalcade of right wing shills don't respect that a mere woman like me could be hired for my skills, and pretended that John Edwards had to be held accountable for some of my personal, non-mainstream views on religious influence on politics," which Marcotte described as being "anti-theocracy."

Marcotte charged that Donohoe had been running a "scorched earth campaign" against her and that he "made no bones about the fact that his intent is to 'silence' me. . . . It was creating a situation where I felt that every time I coughed, I was risking the Edwards campaign. . . . Bill Donohue doesn't speak for Catholics, he speaks for the right wing noise machine."


Although I figured this is the way it would eventually go down, it still bothers me that the main-stream media gives fringe elements like the Catholic League the time of day when it comes to this kind of crap.

Even worse, some other group called Fidelis is demanding that the other two top Democrats denounce Edwards for the employment. Who the fuck is Fidelis? I don't know, I've never heard of them until today, but I would say that it is a sad indictment on our society that every pseudo-religious fringe group of dickwits with a website is acknowledged as mainstream when they clearly are not.

Now, Marcotte has even taken down her own website as it is being bombarded with right-wing, oh what's the word I'm searching for, blogofascists.

If I was more of a conspiracy theorists, I would guess that the media is simply doing this because the blogosphere is treading a little to closely to their own hallowed ground, after all, we can't have average citizens taking part in the political arena. But I won't, I still cling to the belief that they are simply lazy, and it is a lot easier to write a story from parroting cunts like Donohue than it is to develop one on your own.

No comments: