Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Tracy Sabetta: Idiot

This is the reason that I refuse to vote for virtually every initiative or constitutional amendment I find on the ballot. The general public should not be in the business of making laws because usually you end up with unintended consequences due to the fact that these are always advanced by zealots who can't see past their own vision of right and wrong. From The Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Tracy Sabetta, head of the SmokeFree Ohio campaign, was on the phone much of Tuesday as word spread about the truck-driving provision. SmokeFree Ohio wrote the law passed by Ohio voters last month.

Sabetta said the intent is to protect employees in vehicles used by more than one person, even if different drivers use a vehicle at different times.

But Sabetta noted that enforcement is based on complaints.

"I don't think we'll see health inspectors climbing into the truck to issue a citation," she said.

Listen honey, you passed your little law, but you have zero say in how its intent is interpreted, nor how it is enforced. It is what it is. The courts and the cops get to decide that, and I doubt they give damn number one what you think.

Just so everybody knows, I'm not writing this out of bitterness because I smoke, I live in a city with smoking laws already so it really doesn't effect me. No, what peeves me here is the arrogance, though probably unintended, in thinking that if your group works to pass a law, then you somehow assume ownership of that law. Kind of like in the Spring with Ken Blackwell's TEL amendment. While it said what it said, Blackwell was telling us he meant something different. Doesn't work that way.

No comments: