Monday, October 03, 2005

Harriet Miers

President Bush has nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. Not really sure what to think here. What I've heard about Miers is that she is probably about as close to my views as I can expect from a republican president. I don't really follow judicial nominees that closely.

What I do know is that at first glance this appears to be a bad move politically. Bush's base is currently freaking out on the conservative websites and that's all he really has left for support, plus the fact that she has never been a judge before will cause the general public to cry cronyism. They are probably right about the cronyism part, but supposedly Miers was on a list of suitable candidates given to the president by Senate Dems.

If her views are as I have heard this could be very strange confirmation hearings.

No comments: