Monday, May 21, 2007

Recess Is Canceled

Back in November, shortly after the election I wrote about the possibility of mass recess nominations to various positions that required Senate confirmation. From Me:

In fact, I really don't believe a single nominee for any post will go through the confirmation process for the duration of this administration. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but that is the way I see it.

That has indeed been the Bush administration's modus operandi since the 110th Congress came into session. Harry Reid is having no more of it. From TPM:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has a little trick up his sleeve that could spell an end to President Bush's devilish recess appointments of controversial figures like former United Nations Ambassador John Bolton. We hear that over the long August vacation, when those types of summer hires are made, Reid will call the Senate into session just long enough to force the prez to send his nominees who need confirmation to the chamber. The talk is he will hold a quickie "pro forma" session every 10 days, tapping a local senator to run the hall.

Senate workers and Republicans are miffed, but Reid is proving that he's the new sheriff in town.

Now I have to wonder if any positions will be filled for the last two years of the Bush presidency.

No comments: