Monday, May 01, 2006

Stephen Colbert

On Saturday night, Stephen Colbert stood at the podium at the White House Corespondents Dinner and spoke truth to power using his brand of comedy. He skewered both George Bush and DC press. You have to watch the video here, because I've not seen any major media outlet even mention Colbert's performance, and why would they, he torched them.

Still, the press blackout on this is amazing. I figured part of Colbert's routine would find it's way into the Sunday Funnies portion of ABC's This Week. It did not. The Washington Post barely mentioned he was there. No Laura Bush type write up from last year as she playfully teased the president. The New York Times offers only a couple of the tamer comments. Perhaps Keith Olbermann will pick up the video tonight.

I have to tell you, this performance took guts. To stand a few feet away from the President of the United States and ridicule him for twenty minutes covering pretty much all of his failures takes some major chutzpa.

The crowd at times simply looks shocked at the things Colbert is saying, and I have to admit, there are times while watching the video that even I sat here thinking, "Did he really just say that?" Others in the blogosphere have called Colbert's performance an indictment, I'd say that's apt.

I've read where some conservatives say that liberals don't understand Colbert, and that he isn't lampooning the right, but actually makes fun of the left. That's probably how he got invited to speak at this event. I don't think many of them believe that anymore.

I'm not going to excerpt any of the transcript, you really need to see the video to get the full effect. If you do one thing today, go to DU and watch this video.

No comments: