Saturday, February 18, 2006

Brown Is The New Black

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, to be honest, I don't listen to any political talk radio. I find most of it excruciatingly dull, liberal or conservative. Anyway, last week on Limbaugh's show he called out the New York Times. Why? From the San Jose Mercury News:

When Iraq war veteran Paul Hackett was forced out of the Democratic primary in the U.S. Senate race in Ohio, the conservative commentator criticized The New York Times for not saying that the Democrats' preferred candidate is black.

Limbaugh later found out from e-mails to his nationally syndicated radio show that the candidate, Rep. Sherrod Brown, is, in fact, white.

"Uh, Sherrod Brown's a white guy? Then I'm confusing him with somebody. OK, I'm sorry," Limbaugh said this week.

Sure, he's an idiot, and as e-mails continued to come in to his show, he said, "We have corrected this, and I, you know, I'm not gonna apologize because I don't think it's an insult to be black."

He's right there, it's not an insult. So, why did he bring it up in the first place? The fact of the matter is that by bringing up the issue, Limbaugh was signalling to the racist constituency of the republican party to watch out, there's a darkie running for the Senate.

Can you imagine the outrage Rush would have spilled on to the radio if a liberal would have said the same thing about a republican candidate?

No comments: