Monday, January 29, 2007

Credit Where It's Due

I am about to make a statement I don't think I've ever made before and doubt I'll have a chance to make very often in the future. David Brook's column in yesterday's NY Times was exactly correct. Since I read the dead tree version of it and do not have access to Times Select I'm not going to excerpt from it, but the gist of it was that in Iraq we should separate, lift, and leave in that order.

Brooks is absolutely right. Our mission in Iraq should be right now to separate the warring parties by aiding anyone that wants to move from an area occupied by opposing forces, give them humanitarian aid and then get the fuck out. Then, if al-Sadr and al-Hakim want to go at it over control of the oil in the south, so be it, and I do think that will be the end game. There just isn't much we can do about that.

No comments: