Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don't Call It A Comeback

Uh, wow. A couple of posts ago I wrote that David Drier was a weak choice for House majority leader. I have to admit I though, I thought he would last at least a little longer than Alexander Haig who famously proclaimed after Reagan was shot, "I'm in charge." Roy Blunt made his move and will now be the new majority leader. It probably didn't help Drier out that he is heterosexually challenged in a party of homophobes.

The bottom line is that Delay is done. He may get off on the conspiracy charge, but he will never regain a leadership position. Blunt's ascension to majority leader signals this. You don't make a move like this without the proper backing both from within and outside the House. Delay might schlep around for a another term or two, but when the power doesn't match the ego he will move his sorry ass to K Street for some thank you checks.

I do find it very funny that while Tom Delay was giving his indignant presser about partisan politics being behind his indictment his fellow republicans who had reassured him all week were in a closed door meeting cutting his throat.

No comments: